The Value of Planning for Home Fires – What to Prepare & Plan
As far as detrimental accidents go there are few things as staggering as a fire that damages your property and personal belongings. A fire in your home is a harrowing and an emotionally draining event, whether it destroys everything or not. Nevertheless, there are certain measures you can take to decrease the likelihood of a fire from occurring in your residence. The fire damage repair team from Paul Davis understands the severe situation of home fires and that’s why it’s essential to know how to plan and prepare your house and what to do when a fire occurs.
Have an Emergency Strategy at All Times in Place
All home fires aren’t avoidable and there’s only so much you can do. That is why it’s integral to have safety strategies in place. Fire extinguishers and smoke alarms are a must, and make sure you have the right number to accommodate your house. Nevertheless, you should think about using smoke alarms that can detect smoke from fires generated by electricity, since damaged wiring can be a cause of home fires. When you have children, you’ll want to instruct them on how the smoke alarm sounds and what to do when in the case where one goes off.
Some other precautions consist of planning out fire escape routes in your residence. Create a plan and make sure everybody in the home understands the fire escape routes – there should be two exits for every room in the house. Also, it’s essential to have a designated meeting place outside so you know who gets out of the home and who is absent.
Another thing you need to do is secure your valuable things such as passports, photographs and birth certificates. You could make digital replicas and store them into a cloud drive as a backup, and you can purchase a fire safe box to keep the real copies safe too. Lastly, take inventory of all your personal belongings for insurance purposes in case they’re engulfed by the flames.
Things to Keep in Mind to Minimize Home Fire Hazards
Here are a few things to recognize so you can lessen the perils and dangers that are connected with home fires:
- Cooking: It’s essential to be attentive in the kitchen and to not ignore food being cooked alone. Without exception have somebody there to monitor everything going on.
- Appliances and Electrical: Perform a routine examination on your electrical appliances and make sure the cords and plugs are in working condition. Also, when your light switches are hot to the touch, then it’s time to switch them out.
- Portable Heaters: Not under any circumstance should you allow a portable heater neglected, and keep flammable or combustible items three feet away from the heater. It’s also imperative for your portable heater to have the proper safety features. For instance, it turning off when it falls over.
- Fireplaces: Having a suitable screen for your fireplace is essential for the safety of your house and everybody in it. Ensure that it’s sturdy enough to prevent logs that roll and flares. Additionally, you need to clean and maintain your fireplace consistently to rid the intensely flammable creosote that builds up.
- Children: Kids are curious and fire is fascinating to them, so instruct your children that fire is not a toy. In addition, store matches and lighters in a safe area that is out of sight and out of reach.
- Smoking: Cigarettes and cigars are extreme perils for fire, and taking your smoking outside is the best method to prevent a home fire. When you smoke indoors, make sure you have ashtrays with deep walls and that you never smoke in bed or while you’re lethargic. In addition, never smoke indoors if someone in the home is using oxygen because this is extremely explosive.
For Fire Damage Repair Services – Get in Touch with Paul Davis for Expert Assistance Now
When you experience a home fire, don’t hesitate to contact Paul Davis. Our expert team has the skills you need with fire damage repair services and we‘ll have your house back to a habitable condition. Call Paul at 888-473-7669 and a local franchise near you will be available to help out.